Saffron Monastery

Mor Hananyo Monastery, or Saffron Monastery as it is more well known, is a Syriac Orthodox Monastery that was created in approximately 493. After the building was abandoned and unused, the bishop John of Mardin renovated it and moved the bishop’s office here before he died in 1165. The office remained there until 1932 when it was moved to Homs.

The Monastery was built with the symmetry of the world with 365 rooms, one for every day of the year.

Related Destinations

Saffron Monastery Kasimiye Medresesi Hasankeyf